Police Beat: Feb. 14

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 34-year-old man was arrested late Friday night at the 2000 block of East Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of driving under the influence, according to a police report. Tempe Police found the man asleep in his red Chrysler 300, which was parked on the street with the engine running and an open 24-ounce can of Bud Light placed in the center console, police reported.Police could smell alcohol on the man’s breath. The man spoke with slurred speech and had red, watery eyes, according to the report. The man said he had been drinking earlier in the night, police reported.Police searched the man’s vehicle and found an ignition interlock device installed in the vehicle, according to the report. The man was arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail where he was held to see a judge, police reported.
  • A 48-year-old Tempe man was arrested Feb. 7 at the 1900 block of East Hayden Lane on suspicion of dangerous drug possession, according to a police report. When a Tempe Police officer noticed the man standing in the middle of Hayden Lane, the officer asked to speak with the man and he agreed, police reported. During the conversation, the man said he was on probation for marijuana possession, according to the report.The officer asked the man if he had any marijuana and the man said he did not, according to the report.The officer asked the man to empty his pockets and the man complied, according to the report.

The man also agreed to allow the officer to search his pockets, police reported.When the officer found four yellow pills in the man’s sweatshirt, the man said he uses the pills to go to sleep but does not have a prescription for them, according to the report.

Poison control later confirmed that the pills were Clonazepam, a prescription drug commonly used to relieve panic attacks, police reported.

The man told the officer he got the pills from his neighbor and he knew he needed a prescription, according to the report.

The man was arrested, transported to Tempe City Jail for booking and was released pending the drug charge, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×