Police Beat: Feb. 21

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

•  A 27-year-old Tempe man was arrested Feb. 14 on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession and misconduct with a weapon when he was suspected of improperly concealed a firearm at his apartment on the 1900 block of East Hayden Lane, according to a police report.Security guards at the man’s apartment complex were conducting a security check of the premises when they smelled marijuana coming from an open window of the man’s apartment, police reported.

The man was with his cousin inside the apartment when Tempe Police arrived, according to the report. The man’s cousin told police there was marijuana on the kitchen counter and the two had been smoking earlier in the night, police reported.

The man also told police there was a loaded .44 special revolver on the counter, but away from the marijuana, according to the report.

After police began searching the apartment, the 27-year-old man told police there was also another gun – a .357-caliber Magnum – in an open kitchen cabinet, police reported.

Police also found marijuana on top of a DVD next to a red glass bong on the kitchen counter, according to the report. In the same cabinet as the .357-caliber Magnum were two glass jars containing a useable amount of marijuana, according to the report.

The man said the items were his and that he regularly smokes marijuana out of his bong, police reported.

The man was arrested, transported to Tempe City Jail for booking, and released pending drug charges, according to the report.

• A 22-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested on suspicion of drug paraphernalia and dangerous drug possession Wednesday at the 900 block of West University Drive, according to a police report.Tempe Police stopped the man for failing to stop before exiting a private driveway, police reported.

Another man was seated in the backseat of the man’s vehicle and as the officer approached the car, he saw an open 40-ounce bottle of Olde English 800 malt liquor on the floor of the backseat, where the other man was sitting, according to the report.

Before police arrested the men and searched the vehicle, the driver said he had Xanax in the car and the other man said he had Xanax and marijuana, police reported.

Police found marijuana and a broken white pill on the other man, and in the driver’s side door pocket they found an unmarked pill bottle containing two white pills, according to the report.

The driver told police he did not have a prescription for the pills, which were later confirmed to be Alprazolam, police reported.

The man was arrested, booked into Tempe City Jail and released pending drug charges, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×