Tempe Police reported the following incident Tuesday:

• A 39-year-old Tempe man was arrested Friday night at the 500 block of Broadway Road on suspicion of second-degree burglary and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.The hotel manager of Motel 6 at 513 W. Broadway Road checked a customer into room 109, but the customer soon returned and said the room was occupied, according to the report.

The manager said the room should have been vacated at noon, police reported.

The manager went to the room and saw a man run out wrapped in a gray hotel bed sheet, police reported.

The man ran behind a trash bin in the southwest corner of the parking lot, according to the report.

When police arrived at the hotel, they found the room covered in mud and dirt, police reported.

Police found the man a block east of the hotel, still wearing the gray sheet and otherwise naked from the waist down, according to the report.

After the man was placed under arrest, he asked if an officer would retrieve his pants from behind the trash bin in the hotel parking lot, police reported.

The officer found jeans and a pair of shoes in the trash bin, according to the report.

The police searched the jeans and found a glass pipe used for smoking methamphetamine with a dark residue, police reported.

The man said he was never in the room and gave several different reasons for being at Motel 6, according to police.

The man gave inconsistent statements concerning his theft of the sheet and his nudity, police reported.

Police noticed the man's sweatshirt was damp, according to the report.

The man initially said his sweater was damp from sweat, but later said it was from the moisture in the trees, police reported.

The man denied ever using meth and said the pipe belonged to his friend, according to the report.

The man said he intended to break the pipe so his friend would stop using methamphetamine, but had been too busy to do so in the two hours the pipe was in his possession, police reported.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail for booking.

Report compiled by Danielle Grobmeier. Reach the reporter at dgrobmei@asu.edu

×