Police Beat: Feb. 28

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

•  A 22-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Sunday at the 1300 block of West Broadway Road on suspicion of assault, marijuana possession and two outstanding warrants, according to a police report.

The man and his friend were sitting the back seat of a Discount Cab when the two got into an altercation with the driver, police reported.

The men hit the cab driver repeatedly over the head while he was parked at the curb, police reported.

Witnesses near the scene heard the men shouting “East Side,” while assaulting the cab driver, according to the report.

One of the men fled when Tempe Police arrived, but was detained by pursuing officers, police reported.

A background check showed the 22-year-old man had two outstanding warrants from Phoenix and Glendale, according to the report.

Prior to being searched, the man told police he had two grams of marijuana in his front pocket, which police later confiscated, police reported.

The man was arrested, transported to Tempe City Jail, held to see a judge for the assault charge and released pending drug charges, according to the report.

• A 40-year-old transient man was arrested Saturday near the area of East Rio Salado Parkway and South River Drive on suspicion of aggravated assault, according to a police report.

As the man was riding his bicycle toward a couple on the north sidewalk of East Rio Salado Parkway, the other man made a comment about the 40-year-old riding too close to him and his girlfriend, police reported.

This started an argument between the 40-year-old and the other man, police reported.

The couple started to walk away when the man began yelling obscenities before pulling out an 18-inch machete, according to the report.

The man raised the machete over his head as he walked toward the couple and said, “I’m gonna F--k you up!” police reported.

Two people driving by in a truck stopped and told the couple to get in the bed of the vehicle while the man got back on his bicycle, according to the report.

The witness drove the couple to other side of the street when the man started riding his bicycle toward the truck, police reported.

The witness parked the truck and after he and the passenger got out of the vehicle, they both grabbed the man off the bike and detained him, according to the report.

When Tempe Police arrived, the couple said they wanted to press charges against the man, according to the report.

The man was arrested, booked into Tempe City Jail and transported to Maricopa County Jail, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×