In the new action mystery “Safe House,” viewers are first introduced to a suave Tobin Frost (Denzel Washington): square-framed glasses, black fedora and wrap-around scarf. He is calm, cool and collected, but he is also secretive and cautious.

Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds) is a low-key nobody in the CIA looking for a chance to prove himself. He is stuck in an apartment all day, left with nothing to do but answer phone calls and learn French from the audio instructor’s voice in his earphone speakers.

Frost was the CIA's best until he turned against the agency. He is now wanted for numerous counts of espionage in four different continents and for leaking agency secrets to Russia and China. Frost’s expertise in psychological warfare made him responsible for rewriting the rules the agency’s psych examinations. But why, after all these years, is Frost in Cape Town, South Africa?

Upon capture, Frost is relocated to a secure safe house, where he is guarded by the desperate and unprepared Weston. Here the other agents stoop to questionable measures in hopes of obtaining Frost's reasons for his whereabouts. When an unexpected attack on the safe house goes down, Weston is forced to secure Frost to prevent his escape back into the streets of South Africa — or worse, out of the country.

After spending some time with Frost, Weston begins to uncover some secrets along the way. Did Frost really turn rogue? Who attacked the safe house? As Frost puts it, “I'm already in your head.”

Weston and Frost proceed with a cat-and-mouse chase through the city, and along the way, Weston learns truths about the agency that he may have never learned otherwise.

Reynolds reveals an unexpected emotional side of his acting when his character is forced to break things off with his long-time girlfriend. Reynolds executes the heartfelt moment superbly, and his role in the movie teaches regret, compassion and appreciation.

The combination of Reynolds’ passiveness and Washington’s fierce poise is a duo extravaganza. Reynolds’ image is restored in this action-packed chase, as he fulfills his serious role to the tee. It is a nice change to see Reynolds transcend from his usual romantic comedies to a car-chasing showdown.

Washington’s portrayal of Frost can be added to the list of certified tough guys. Just like in “Training Day” and “Man On Fire,” he delivers an action-packed character in “Safe House.”

If an adrenaline-pumping movie is what you’re looking for this weekend, “Safe House” is the best bet.

Reach the reporter at cstarboa@asu.edu

×