Seniors to play final games at Wells Fargo Arena

Kimberly Brandon dribbles the ball up the court in a game against Stanford on Feb. 2. Brandon is one of five Sun Devils playing their final games at Wells Fargo Arena this weekend. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The ASU women’s basketball team hopes to send its seniors off the right way this weekend.

The Sun Devils take on Washington and Washington State in their final two home games of the season.

Coach Joseph Anders said it is a big weekend for the seniors.

“This is the last week for our seniors to compete in Wells Fargo Arena in front of our home fans,” Anders said. “If I’ve got to motivate (them) this week, then there is something seriously wrong.”

Five different players will be honored Saturday night against WSU, including senior forwards Kimberly Brandon and Kali Bennett.

Senior guards Alex Earl and Olivia Major will also play their last games in Tempe.

Redshirt junior Haley Parsons will also be honored. She has decided to forgo her final year of eligibility.

Bennett said the fact that she is playing her last game in Tempe has yet to really hit her.

“I know when the time comes, I am probably going to have a few tears,” Bennett said. “I’m excited to play the last time in front of the fans and the last time here at ASU. I am a Sun Devil for life. It’s going to be hard to walk away.”

Junior guard Deja Mann said the underclassmen want to send their leaders off in the right fashion — with a win.

The Sun Devils first face the Washington Huskies on Thursday. The Sun Devils pulled out a close victory in a tightly contested battle the last time the two teams met in Seattle.

ASU will focus its defensive energy on two UW players. Senior center Regina Rogers and freshman guard Jazmine Davis are the driving forces for the Huskies’ offense.

In the two teams’ last meeting, Rogers put up 20 points and 12 rebounds against the Sun Devils. Eight of her 20 points came from the free throw line.

Anders said the team is going to try and move the ball quickly down the court to tire Rogers out and ensure she cannot camp out in the post.

Bennett said the forwards are going play smarter defense than last time and make sure she does not get to the foul line as often.

Davis has blossomed into one of the better guards in the NCAA in her freshman year.

Last weekend, she scored 20 points against Oregon State and dropped 27 against Oregon.

Mann said the ASU guards are going to try to frustrate Davis.

“(We need) to just keep her in front and make her work for every shot,” Mann said. “Not too many teams pick people up full court like we do and work people like we do. I think if we can wear her out a little bit, that will work for us.”

On Senior Night, the Sun Devils will take on Washington State.

The last time ASU played WSU, the Sun Devils won the rebounding battle 43–32.

Bennett and Mann said the rebounds were the key to the victory. They also said if the Sun Devils can gain an advantage on the boards again, it would help them sweep WSU this season.

Freshman forward Jada Blackwell participated fully in practice Tuesday and is expected to play in the game.

Anders said junior guard Michaela Pickens is undergoing testing for a head injury. Pickens’ status for Thursday’s game is questionable.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×