Sun Devils post solid scores in loss to Bruins

Samantha Seaman performs a bar routine event in a meet against Illinois Feb. 19. Seaman and the Sun Devils were unable to overcome the talented lineup of the No. 3 UCLA Bruins. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out more photos of the Gym Devils in action in this slideshow.

Despite a few troubles, the No. 22 Sun Devils returned home from their loss to No. 3 UCLA with a decent road score and some individual career-highs.

The ASU gymnastics team (4-4, 2-3 Pac-12) posted a 194.850 road score Sunday afternoon.

By the numbers, the Bruins (8-1-1, 4-1-1 Pac-12) performed their best meet of the year. They scored a 198.050, the nation’s highest score this season.

The Gym Devils saw many career highs, including sophomore Samantha Seaman’s career-best 39.175 in the all-around.

After a tough vault event, the Sun Devils bounced back with strong floor routines and a season-high balance beam score of 49.050.

“The girls showed a ton of heart coming back from a poor vault performance and did a fantastic floor routine,” assistant coach Tom Ward said. “Beam was outstanding. Overall our energy was great. It was just a very hostile environment we competed in and we were happy. Our goal was to score above a 194.500 here, and they did that. So we’re happy.”

Seaman led the Sun Devils on bars, tying her career-best 9.800.

The team’s bars performances were fairly consistent through the lineup, as the No. 19 nationally ranked team on the bars posted a 48.825.

The Gym Devils then moved to the vault, where they struggled and made several uncharacteristic mistakes.

Redshirt senior Beaté Jones led the Sun Devils in the event with a 9.800 and competed in the all-around for the eighth time this season. Jones is ranked No. 20 in the nation in the all-around.

ASU was able to turn its performance around in the last two events, though. The team’s floor exercises went well, scoring a 48.925.

Senior Amanda Davies, who hasn’t competed since Feb. 3, made the best of her return. She shattered her career high, posting a 9.875 on floor.

Freshmen Morgan Steigerwalt and Natasha Sundby also posted a 9.825 and 9.800 in the event.

ASU is ranked No. 22 in the floor exercise event.

The Gym Devils ended the day confidently, posting a season-high 49.050 on the balance beam.

Freshman Natelle Gentile scored a career-best 9.800. Senior Kahoku Palafox stuck her landing and tied her career high on the beam with a 9.850.

Seaman finished her big day with another career-best mark, 9.875.

UCLA junior Vanessa Zamarripa and senior Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs led the Bruins with a 39.625 and 39.575 in the all-around.

Note:

Beginning this week, the NCAA now ranks teams with a Regional Qualifying Score. The RQS considers a certain combination of home and away scores and ranks the top teams in the nation.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×