After a short week of practice, the ASU women’s tennis team is ready to face Sacramento State and Saint Mary’s College in Tempe this weekend.

“It’s been good,” coach Sheila McInerney said. “The girls are getting into more of a groove.”

Last weekend, the Sun Devils beat Boise State, but were upset by No. 30 Pepperdine, which dropped ASU to No. 37.

“Everyone is sore and a little disappointed from a tough, physical weekend, so we’re just trying to fine-tune things,” McInerney said.

Despite hopes for better results in California, the team enjoyed their first road trip and returned home with renewed vigor at practice.

“We have a quick turnaround this week,” McInerney said. “The first few days we work out the kinks, and then we start hitting a lot of balls and playing each other.”

Junior Nicole Smith didn’t play in California because of a sore knee.

“Nicole’s knee is still problematic,” McInerney said. “It’s just a day-to-day thing. If she doesn’t play, we’ll keep the same lineup we had last weekend.”

On Friday, ASU will square off against Sacramento State at 1:30 p.m.

The last time ASU played Sacramento was in the Cal Nike Invitational in October when the pair of senior Michelle Brycki and junior Nicole Smith lost to seniors Clarisse Baca and Maria Meliuk in the doubles semifinal round.

“We haven’t played Sacramento as a team in a few years, but we know they’re good,” McInerney said.

Saturday at noon, the Sun Devils will play the No. 19 Saint Mary’s College Gaels, who are fresh off of upsetting Washington on the road 5–2.

“St. Mary’s has had a good season,” McInerney said. “They’re strong, and we need to prepare for them.”

Always an optimist, McInerney said it’s all about working hard to learn and improve from mistakes, not necessarily who gets the win.

After this weekend, ASU will play Washington State on Sunday, March 18 in Pullman, Wash.

For now, the team is focusing on getting back on track with a win.

“It’s going to be a battle for sure, but we’ll be ready,” she said.

Reach the reporter at dkmcinty@asu.edu

×