Basketball’s season ends on disappointing note

Herb Sendek addresses the media after ASU’s loss to UA on Dec. 31, 2011. Sendek and the Sun Devils played their final game of the season when they lost 85–65 to Stanford in the Pac-12 tournament.  (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)
Herb Sendek addresses the media after ASU’s loss to UA on Dec. 31, 2011. Sendek and the Sun Devils played their final game of the season when they lost 85–65 to Stanford in the Pac-12 tournament. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

The ASU men’s basketball team’s season came to an end Wednesday night.

The Sun Devils fell to Stanford 85–65 in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament.

Contrary to their best performance of the season Sunday against UA, the Sun Devils (10–21, 6–12 Pac-12) shot 20-of-50 from the floor. Sophomore forward Jordan Bachynski reached double-figures and was one of two Sun Devils to do so. He scored 11 points and grabbed four rebounds. Sophomore wing Chanse Creekmur led the team with 13 points.

The Cardinal (21–10, 10–8 Pac-12) took a double-digit lead following sophomore guard Aaron Bright’s 3-point shot midway through the first half. The Sun Devils were unable to trim the lead to single digits for the rest of the game. Bright scored 11 points and added five assists in 25 minutes off the bench.

Freshman guard Chasson Randle had 27 of his game-high 30 points in the first half. Ten of those points came from the free-throw line. He also made six of the team’s 10 3-point shots in the game.

Stanford shot 47.5 percent from the floor. Senior Jarrett Mann was the third Cardinal player in double figures, finishing with 10 points and four rebounds.

The Cardinal will face California in the second round with an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament on the line for the winner of the Pac-12 tournament.

As for ASU, the loss snaps its only winning streak this season when it won back-to-back games to close the season against USC and UA.

It’s the third straight year ASU has lost in the first round of the conference tournament.

Reach the reporter at mtesfats@asu.edu

×