Let’s face it, Republicans. It looks like Mitt Romney is your man.

Though he did not run a uniquely exceptional campaign by any means, the Romney train is nevertheless on the straight and narrow track toward the White House.

If Romney wins the GOP nomination like many believe he will, it will put him up against a president who is in crisis.

This comes at a time when many polls suggest that Romney would, in fact, beat our incumbent president in a one-on-one national election. A Rasmussen presidential poll showed that Romney is about 5 points ahead of Obama, and the daily findings remain pretty consistent.

So what does this mean for Obama and the Democrats?

Obama could, in fact, prove me wrong and win the election. Of course this is a possibility, but I believe the GOP has learned (hopefully) from many of McCain’s mistakes and will not make them on the campaign trail this time around.

Don’t rule out the possibility of Obama running a slick, tight campaign and coming out on top. However, I just think it’s highly unlikely with the difficulties we face as a nation. People can’t look past the sagging numbers any longer. Don’t worry, the GOP is always there to remind us.

So, hypothetically, if Romney edges out Obama in our national election and takes the presidency, you may say, why should Democrats be relieved?

It’s simple. Romney is not as conservative as he should be. If he takes office, I have yet to believe there will be any significant economic gains.

In fact, a Romney administration will shift the White House back to the GOP of the Bush era – you know, those welfare state-loving, lavish, Republican spenders who campaigned as conservatives but gave rise to the deficit, as well as many of our other problems.

If Romney surprises us and is different, I’ll applaud him. His hypothetical re-election depends on whether or not the economy turns during his hypothetical first term.

Democrats, however, are smart if they see Obama leave the White House. Never has there been such an ideologically forward president in this nation’s history, and his failure to compromise or take action has led to his administration’s tricky position as of today.

Sure, the GOP won back the house two years ago and they’ve given a stubborn effort to say no to any of Obama’s proposals. Obama should have conceded certain issues so that other aspects of his agenda get accomplished. Instead, we’ve gotten a stagnant government and a frustrated public.

If the Democratic Party was smart, it would instead nominate a more pragmatic politician in the future – someone more like Bill Clinton, who might I point out, was consistently well-liked while in office.

×