Live and Otherwise: Hanny's in Downtown Phoenix

The classy outside of Hanny's. Photo from Hannys.net.

I love stuffing my face with delicious food. The meticulous foodie that I am, I would spend all of my time trying new and creative dishes if I wasn’t aware of all the ways my body would respond to such behavior (i.e. a larger gut). This weekend I was given the rare opportunity to combine my foodie love with another passion: music. At Hanny’s in downtown phoenix, the perfect opportunity arises for music and food to combine.

Hanny’s is located on the corner of Adams and 1st streets on an unassuming corner. However, the architecture’s 1950s design stands apart. When you enter, the place is filled with a swanky, elegant atmosphere that lends itself to enjoyment. The bar is situated in the middle of this grandiose room, surrounded by tables perched against wall-size windows facing the street. It’s a fairly intimate affair; however, it is perfectly suited to cocktails with friends or that nerve-wreaking first date. The upstairs hosts a private lounge and the coolest bathrooms I’ve ever seen. Complete with stellar graphics and this super cool mirrored hallway, the bathroom turned into a visually exciting endeavor.

Okay, enough geeking out about the toilet (but you definitely should take the extra trip upstairs should you choose to dine here).  On to the important stuff: the food and the music. The menu was comprised primarily of delicious appetizers, pizza and sandwiches. I chose to stick with the appetizers, and it was delicious. A plate of mixed olives, prosciutto and cheese is a winner in my book any day of the week. Combined with some refreshing cocktails (an "Aperolcello" and a Ginger Lemonade to be exact), I was immediately enthralled by Hanny’s old time charm. But the coolest part? The DJ booth situated above the dining area.

While people ate and chattered, the DJ pounded out great music that was a healthy mixture of hip hop and contemporary sounds. The music plays all night until Hanny’s closes its doors -- and that’s not until 2 a.m.! The music was the perfect ambiance for the delicate setting that Hanny’s seamlessly put together. What made the music so special was the eclectic catalog that was playing. Underground hip hop artists like Little Brother would waft through the speakers, the DJ then transitioning onto more mainstream acts like Lil’ Kim. The entire set excellently mashed the stylish beats and rhythm together in a beautiful spray of sound. Needless to say, the music lover and foodie within me were greatly appeased.

Hanny’s is located at 40 North 1st Street, Phoenix. For more information visit their website.

×