Police Beat: March 13

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

•  A 38-year-old transient man was arrested Wednesday at the 1800 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of theft and narcotic drug possession, according to a police report.

A 17-year-old boy was talking on his cell phone near East Apache Boulevard and South McClintock Drive  March 6 when the man rode up behind the boy on a bicycle and grabbed the phone from his hand, police reported.

A woman, who knew the man personally, was nearby and saw the man take the phone, according to the report.

The woman and the boy called Tempe Police, and she provided them with information regarding the man, police reported.

The following morning, the woman called police again after the man came over to the woman’s apartment and left the stolen cell phone on the bed, according to the report.

When police arrested the man, they found a small aluminum container with oxycodone pills on him, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail for booking, held to see a judge and then released pending a drug charge, according to the report.

• A 27-year-old Mesa man was arrested Thursday at the 400 block of East Caballero Street on suspicion of third-degree burglary and trafficking of stolen property, according to a police report.

Several witnesses, including the victim, saw the man breaking into the victim’s 2006 Honda Odyssey Feb. 3 at the 300 block of West Washington Street and taking an RCA portable DVD player before leaving in his own vehicle, police reported.

Witnesses told police the man’s license plate number and the victim gave police information regarding the DVD player, according to the report.

The man sold the DVD player on Feb. 7 to Pawn 1st pawnshop at the 400 block of North Country Club Drive for $5, police reported.

Because of store policy, the man provided the store with his identification information and fingerprint, according to the report.

When police went to the man’s home on Thursday, he said he did take the DVD player and sold it, police reported.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail for booking, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×