Roosevelt Row’s hidden treasure chest of vintage finds

(Photo courtesy of Vintage By Misty)
(Photo courtesy of Vintage By Misty)

Vintage by Misty is exclusive to Phoenix’s Roosevelt Row and is unlike other clothing stores the city has seen before. The store draws people in with its mesh of paisley, mod and brights that seamlessly blend together to create a true spectacle for the eyes.

Although the colors may reel customers in, the collection of vintage Lanvin, Pucci, Chanel and other designers paired with trinkets from the owner’s travels to almost every continent make the shopper stay and browse for hours. The espresso bar in the back definitely gives the feel of a chic boutique in a growing city.

Store owner Misty Guerriero, a Phoenix native, has always been interested in fashion and intrigued by all things beautiful, but her signature vintage store was something that fell into her arms and “felt right.”

Guerriero favors downtown areas of cities and said she wanted to bring more life to Phoenix. While opening her own store may not have been easy, Guerriero had been subconsciously in the practice of collecting items for the store her entire life.

Loving vintage clothing has been a part of Guerriero’s life since she was a child, when she would play dress-up in her mother’s closet.

“I was really lucky to have such a creative mom,” she said.

“She really helped me think outside the box in terms of my wardrobe.”

Six years ago, Misty was working for Scottsdale interior design store The Grand Tour and traveling all over Europe to find eclectic pieces for homes. However, on her travels, Guerriero stumbled upon her true passion — vintage clothing.

“My eyes opened to a whole new world … the world of vintage. I’ve always loved vintage, but not to the point where that’s all I would look for. Thus began my collection for myself, which then formed Vintage by Misty. All my travels really inspired me to do something different with my collection and shop,” Guerriero said.

After meeting her Israeli husband, Guerriero knew she’d be able to travel and collect and call it work. Israel is Guerriero’s No. 1 choice for funky clothing from an exotic locale.

“Israeli jewels are insane, and your surroundings are filled with culture and history,” Guerriero remarked.

Misty also says she’s excited to go to Peru in the near future, where she feels the shopping will be a true pleasure.

Vintage by Misty is located at 818 N. Central Avenue, a few short blocks from ASU’s Downtown campus.

Reach the reporter at Roxana.Baldovin@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×