Stanford remains atop Pac-12 power rankings

Cal’s Justine Hartman (40) boxes out for a rebound in a game against the Sun Devils on Feb. 4. At 22-7 on the season, Cal is almost guaranteed an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The last games of the Pac-12 women’s basketball regular season are this weekend.

A team’s record becomes even more important now, as it is their final record that determines their seed in the conference tournament.

With one weekend of regular season play left, this is where the Pac-12 teams rank.

1. Stanford Cardinal (26-1, 17-0 in Pac-12)

Give Stanford some credit. They have been consistent.

The Cardinal came into the season as the top-ranked team in the conference and a top team in the country.

As the season draws to a close, Stanford has lived up to both of those challenges, as it is the regular season champion of the Pac-12.

If they win out in the Pac-12 tournament, the Cardinal could be awarded the No. 2 overall seed in the NCAA tournament.

2. Cal Golden Bears (22-7, 13-4 Pac-12)

When Stanford played Cal at the end of January, Stanford only won by only three points in overtime.

The two Pac-12 powerhouses have a rematch this weekend in Berkeley, Calif. Besides being a rivalry game, there is a lot on the line for Cal.

The Golden Bears should be guaranteed a tournament bid, but a signature win over the No. 2 team in the country would definitely help their seeding in the Big Dance.

3. USC Trojans (16-11, 10-6 Pac-12)

It’s impossible for the Trojans to compete against Cal for the No. 2 spot in the conference, as the Bears are three games ahead.

USC has two games remaining against the Washington schools. The Trojans lost to Washington the last time they played them and will be looking for redemption.

USC may not catch Cal, but the Trojans can secure their spot as the No. 3 team in the conference with two wins this weekend.

4. UCLA Bruins (14-13, 9-7 Pac-12)

Nothing would make UCLA happier than a Washington victory over USC.

The Bruins are one game behind their southern California rival. UCLA also plays the Washington schools this weekend.

If the Bruins win both games and the Trojans lose both of theirs, UCLA would jump USC in the standings.

UCLA would be better setup for a long run in the Pac-12 tournament if they had a top seed.

5. Oregon State Beavers (18-9, 9-7 Pac-12)

ASU’s loss to Oregon State earlier in the year means so much more now.

If the Beavers and Sun Devils end the year with the same record, the Beavers own the tie breaker because of that victory in January.

The Beavers have a strong chance to secure a top spot in the conference, as they take on Utah and Colorado this weekend.

The Beavers beat both teams the last time they played. Two victories would go a long way in securing a top four seed in the conference tournament.

6. ASU Sun Devils (18-10, 9-8 Pac-12)

After being swept by the southern California schools last weekend, the Sun Devils are in a tough spot.

ASU only plays one game this weekend against rival UA.

It might be hard for the Sun Devils to get a first round bye in the tournament.

After the two-game losing streak, ASU can win their last regular season game and have a strong showing in the conference tournament to help their NCAA tournament chances.

7. Washington Huskies (15-11, 7-9 Pac-12)

When a team finds itself in the lower half of the conference rankings, the conference tournament means even more.

After the Huskies lost to the Sun Devils, they were sitting with a 5-9 record in the Pac-12.

Since then, they have righted the ship and won two games in a row.

The Huskies will not get a bid to the NCAA tournament without winning the Pac-12 tournament.

8. Utah Utes (13-14, 6-10 Pac-12)

The Utes’ schedule has not been kind to them.

Utah responded well to the change in conferences toward the end of the season, winning three of their last five games.

Unfortunately for Utah, their last two games were against Stanford and Cal — the two best teams in the conference — and both ended as losses for the Utes.

The Utes have a chance to improve their record this weekend, facing both Oregon schools. The Utes lost to both the Beavers and the Ducks the last time they played.

9. Oregon Ducks (14-14, 6-10 Pac-12)

Unlike Utah, the Ducks’ schedule has worked out pretty well for them.

They currently have the same record as Utah in conference. To secure themselves as the better team, all the Ducks have to do is beat the Utes and Buffaloes in their gym.

That will not be an easy task, since the Utes and Buffaloes have improved since the last time the teams met.

10. Colorado Buffaloes (16-11, 5-11 Pac-12)

If the Buffaloes played a little better in the Pac-12, they could have a good chance at a NCAA tournament berth.

CU did not lose any non-conference games.

The Buffaloes’ troubles began when they entered Pac-12 play. They have lost 11 of their 16 conference games.

The Buffaloes play against the Oregon schools this weekend. CU lost to both teams the last time they played.

11. Washington State Cougars (10-18, 4-12 Pac-12)

With only four wins in the conference, the Cougars won’t call this one of their best seasons. Still, every team gets an invite to the conference tournament.

There would be no better way to gain some momentum than by pulling off some upsets. The Cougars take on top teams UCLA and USC this weekend.

Some wins over the Bruins and Trojans would go a long way for the Cougars, and would show the team as a tough opponent in the conference tournament.

12. UA Wildcats (14-15, 3-14 Pac-12)

No team wants to finish last in their conference.

If Washington State loses its two remaining games this weekend, the Wildcats can avoid that.

Even though UA won’t win the conference, it has a chance to win the Territorial Cup when it faces rival ASU this weekend.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×