Tempe Fire responds to smoke in Bateman basement

Tempe Fire crews rushed to the Bateman Physical Sciences F-wing as smoke was spotted in the hallway of the basement on Wednesday evening. Officials said the smoke came from compressor leak in the equipment room which spat hot oil and supplies. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

Fire alarms at the George M. Bateman Physical Sciences Center at the Tempe campus sounded Wednesday evening as Tempe Fire crews responded to smoke coming from the basement of the F-wing.

A compressor sprung an oil leak, which then spilled on supplies in the equipment room of the basement and created a hazardous amount of heat and smoke, Tempe Fire Sgt. Mark Aston said.

Fire crews were in and out of the building for inspections. By 8:16 p.m., Aston said the building was all clear and no one was injured.

The building was evacuated immediately before Tempe Fire arrived at the campus around 6:50 p.m.

Geological sciences graduate Matt Sanborn was working in the basement when he walked outside of the chemistry lab and saw the cloud of smoke in the hallway.

Sanborn said he called Tempe Fire as he and others evacuated. Fire alarms were already ringing when they exited the building.

Sanborn also said there are many chemicals used and stored in the basement, but the smoke didn’t affect any of them.

Aston also said the building did not contain any toxic smoke and that students and faculty could enter once crews left the scene.

Estimated damage to the compressor and equipment room is unknown at this time.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×