Women’s golf takes on first competition after extended break

The ASU women’s golf team has already gone an extended period of time without playing in an invitational this season.

ASU was off for more than three months between the fall and spring seasons.

The team shook off the rust just fine and finished third in its first invitational following the three-month layover.

Now, ASU heads to the Battle at Rancho Bernardo from March 18-20 without having competed against another NCAA school in more than a month.

With the regular season lasting from September until May and only a limited number of days allowed on the course, ASU had their schedule spread around.

The last time ASU stepped onto the golf course against other schools was more than a month ago in the Northrop Grumman Invitational.

ASU finished fourth there, and the Sun Devils are seeking a higher finish in the upcoming tournament.

Senior Giulia Molinaro led the Sun Devils in that invitational, as she has done in every tournament but one.

The lone ASU veteran is averaging a round of 72, with her teammates a couple strokes back.

The team also possesses a consistent lineup with only two different rotations used all year.

ASU has to be relieved that No. 1 UCLA (102-3) will not be joining them, which is a rarity this season.

Of the nine invitationals ASU competes in during the 2011-12 season (including the Pac-12 championship), UCLA plays in seven of them.

UCLA’s absence from the invitational leaves the door open for ASU to finish in first.

Reach the reporter at jmjanss@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×