Live and Otherwise: Finding the Lost Leaf

Art hangs inside the Lost Leaf. Photo by the author.

Primates are on the walls. Literally. Or at least their paintings are. No, this is not some dehydrated delusion from walking around in the warming temperatures for too long, but rather a description of the eclectic artwork that can be found in Downtown Phoenix’s The Lost Leaf. Nestled snugly beside a

laid-back looking café on the corner of 5th Street and Roosevelt Street, its appearance as another house near the First Friday block is misleading. The place has a small stage situated near the patio door and to the right of the bar. The bar has terrific drink specials nightly (the night I went: Hop Knot IPA for only $3 a can), and a lovely array of wooden tables enhances its relaxed ambiance. The Lost Leaf holds a mixed crowd, some there for the music, others there for the beverages. Young and old patrons alike conjoin in the laidback atmosphere. The larger seating area is filled with wooden stools and tables that are surrounded by terrific pieces done by local artists.

The Lost Leaf not only functions as an art gallery, but also showcases live local music every night. The night I made an appearance the tempered sounds of local band Heavy Horses comprised the live music portion of the evening. The ambiance for the place was a great mix of trendy fortitude and also a homey touch to the Downtown nightlife scene. As far as a music venue, it allows patrons to get up close and personal to the many talented local musicians that Phoenix is lucky enough to contain. Heavy Horses nicely accented the great vibes that places like The Lost Leaf is so terrific at creating. The blend of bar and venue that The Lost Leaf represents is a terrific local find that more people should experience. With such a vast array of eclectic beer choices it retains its unique presence as one to return to. And if not, maybe the monkey art will entice you.

The Lost Leaf is located at 914 N. 5th Street, Phoenix.

×