Mesa light rail expansion to begin in late April

Construction to extend the Valley Metro Light Rail through downtown Mesa is scheduled to begin in late April and be completed in 2015. (Photo by Shelby Bernstein)

The Valley Metro Light Rail will begin construction in late April to extend the system into downtown Mesa.

The construction is scheduled to be completed in 2015 and will add four stops on Main Street. The light rail will replace the median that currently runs down Main Street in downtown Mesa.

Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said the expansion of the light rail would become a “significant” means of transportation for Mesa residents.

“(The light rail) will be taking people right down the center of our downtown,” Smith said. “I think that will be a game changer.”

He said downtown Mesa will become more of a destination because of the light rail’s convenience.

“There aren't many people that will get in their car to drive to downtown Mesa,” Smith said. “Now you have a 24-mile system that can bring people to the destination.”

He said the light rail would offer students greater accessibility to the Tempe and Downtown campuses and the option of living in Mesa.

Smith said a student presence in downtown Mesa would help develop a more urban downtown.

“As the years go on, you'll see a massive lifestyle development to that rail line,” Smith said. “Students can be in the downtown and develop its own character.”

Off-Campus & Commuter Student Services spokeswoman Stephanie Salazar said expanding the light rail provides a sustainable method of transportation for commuter students.

“(The light rail) encourages alternative transportation which decreases the traffic in Tempe as well as gas consumption,” Salazar said.  “This in turn creates a better environment along with cleaner air for the state of Arizona.”

She said the expansion would make it more convenient for students to attend the University instead of going elsewhere.

“Providing transportation for those who lack such means does indeed create a new path for otherwise unattainable student population,” Salazar said.

She said having access to the light rail gives students access to more destinations and allows them to study while traveling from one destination to the next.

Chemical engineering junior Madison Klug, who lives in Mesa, said the light rail expansion would be good for commuter students such as herself.

“Not only will the light rail be closer to home but there will also be more parking lots so that places like (Sycamore/Main Street) won't be so packed with cars,” Klug said. “It will be a big help for people who live all over Mesa.”

She said the light rail extension would benefit residential life and business in the downtown Mesa area.

“(The light rail) will boost business areas and apartment complexes, hopefully lowering the cost of living for students,” Klug said.

Reach the reporter at dgrobmei@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×