Brycki on tennis success, life as student athlete

Michelle Brycki hits a backhand at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on Nov. 4, 2011. Brycki has assumed a leadership role in her senior season with the Sun Devils. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Senior Michelle Brycki’s athletic skill and determination — as well as her outgoing and genuine attitude — has helped solidify the ASU women’s tennis team.

The State Press sat down with Brycki and discussed her success this season, how she handles athletics and academics, and her advice for new students and student athletes.

The State Press: Last weekend against UCLA and USC was tough for the team because of multiple injuries, but you were winning against UCLA and beat USC's No. 15 Zoë Scandalis. What did you do to dominate such a strong player?

Michelle Brycki: I knew what I was getting into that weekend because I had played Zoë in a really tough match in Vegas at the beginning of the season. We got out there, and we were staying close for most of the first set. We were either a game ahead or behind for the first set. I was playing a little hot and cold, so I knew when we got into the tiebreaker, I needed to be very disciplined. I played a smart tiebreaker and won 7–2.

In the second set, when my teammates had all finished their matches, I admit I did get a little distracted. I got down quite quickly, 0–4, because I was trying to finish points too quickly. I wanted to turn it around, and I got the little kick up the butt that I needed. Sheila (McInerney) offered me a little incentive ... She said if I won the match, she would speak on senior day this weekend. From then on, I didn't lose another game. It was fun for me, but I could see she started getting nervous about the speech she now has to make.

SP:  What are some challenges you've faced, either on or off the court?

MB: On the court, I've had a few injuries that forced me to miss some matches. I've discovered that I have bad ankles and bad knees — perhaps hereditary, perhaps due to overuse. I'm sure Sheila would tell you it’s hereditary.

Off the court, I've pretty much had to deal with the same challenges that most other student athletes face: being away from home and having to do my own laundry, grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning as well as time managing my studies. First-world challenges though, so I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Now I can cook for my mum when I do eventually go home.

SP: In 2009-10, you had a phenomenal season, going 14–0 in regular season dual match play and earning a 19–7 overall singles record. What was that season like?

MB: I get asked about that season a lot actually, and to be honest, I wasn't very aware of it during the time. I always try to just focus on the match ahead of me instead of looking at the outcome of the entire season. It wasn't until my last few matches that the coaches and my teammates started making comments about it. The only time I felt a little pressure to win was my last match against UA that year, because I wouldn't have wanted to lose that very last one.

SP: As you became more experienced and younger players joined the team, did you step into a leadership role with the tennis team?

MB: I’ve always loved being around older people. I think it’s because I always played tournaments in older age groups, and maybe because of my two older brothers, so I really loved being a “young one” on the team.

But as I’ve slowly gone from being a freshman to sophomore to junior and now being a senior, I’ve definitely at least tried to tone down my immaturity and be more of a responsible leader. So yes, I definitely feel as though I’ve stepped into a leadership role on the basis of being a senior, but also have the experience behind me. I feel like a bit of a mom sometimes … Again, good life practice.

SP: How important is team chemistry for a good team?

MB: Team chemistry is vital. Who wants to be on a team that doesn’t have a little pizzazz? I think when we have fun together, we play better because we genuinely want each other to do well, and (we want to) do well for each other. We really enjoy each other’s company on and off the court, and I think this makes our overall experience just that little bit more special and enjoyable.

SP: You're not only an athlete, but a broadcast journalism student as well. How have you balanced the two over the years?

MB: I’ve balanced the two because there is no other option. I do what I need to do to get it done. I am busy, but such is life. Although I may get a little envious of people who have more free time, I really enjoy what I’m doing and am so thankful for having the ability to juggle my tennis and studying broadcast journalism.

Clint (Letcher) and Sheila have definitely played a huge role in allowing me to do well in both areas. There have been times where we’ve had to negotiate and change practice times because of my needs to film, do interviews or edit my stories for school.

That’s what I love about Sheila and Clint. They acknowledge that we aren’t just tennis players. I’ve been very lucky, especially after being encouraged not to do broadcast journalism because of the responsibility of time that goes with it, on top of being an athlete.

SP: What advice do you have for new students and athletes?

MB: Respect the school and the people giving you this incredible life experience. Anyone can be grateful for what they had once it’s gone or once it’s over, but if you can be grateful and appreciative of what you have while you have it, you have an incredibly mature perspective on things. Oh, and don’t complain. We have nothing to complain about, and nobody likes a complainer.

SP: After graduation in December, do you have plans lined up already?

MB: No plans lined up yet. I’m yet to start writing my next chapter.

Reach the reporter at dkmcinty@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×