ASU student's body recovered in Thailand

A drowned student's body was recovered overnight off the coast of Thailand after he disappeared Tuesday.

Sustainability junior Joshua Shane, 21, was participating in a four-week study abroad program to Thailand with 19 other students that focused on urban sustainability and planning.

ASU spokeswoman Julie Newberg said Shane went swimming with four others late Tuesday night near Patong Beach in Phuket, Thailand, but did not return.

Shane was pulled under the surface along with another student, according to an Arizona Republic article. The other student made it back to shore safely.

Newberg said the University is focusing on providing counseling services to students and faculty involved in the trip "to help ease their pain at this difficult time."

"Arizona State University is deeply saddened and offers its sincere condolences to the family and friends of Shane," Newberg said.

According to the Arizona Republic article, a statement from Shane's family said, "Joshua is a beautiful soul and was truly at his best while traveling (and) exploring. He was passionate about international social justice and global sustainability; He was here to make the world a better place."

Shane's hometown is Olathe, Kansas.

Sustainability senior Ryan Burm knew Shane as a classmate and co-worker.

Burm said he and Shane worked together at ASU Parking and Transit Services.

"Josh fit in really well with the sustainability program," Burm said. "It is surreal to think he's gone."

Reach the reporter at dgrobmei@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×