Five Sun Devils involved in U.S. Open

While Phil Mickelson is the most prominent ASU golf alumni, there were four other Sun Devils that qualified for this weekend’s U.S. Open.

Paul Casey withdrew from the tournament before it started. Chez Reavie and incoming freshman Alberto Sanchez, who shot a nine over par, missed the cut after the first two rounds.

Although those three would have liked to finish the weekend two former Sun Devils did get the opportunity to complete the tournament. It is no surprise that Mickelson, who entered the final round nine shots off of the lead with a score of eight over par, made the cut. However, little known Jesse Mueller is someone Sun Devil fans should rally behind.

Mueller grew up in Mesa and played golf at Mesa Red Mountain High School for four years before continuing his career at ASU competed in not only his first U.S. Open, but his first PGA Tour event as well.

Mueller turned pro in 2005 and entered the final day tied for 66th. The former Sun Devil was 13 shots off the lead and shooting a 12 over par for the tournament. His best round came Friday when he shot a 73 and recorded two birdies.

Sanchez did not make the cut, but qualifying for the U.S. Open before ever taking a collegiate course is something to be impressed with. Simply by qualifying and surviving the first two rounds, Sanchez showed ASU golf fans the future is bright.

×