Letter: ASU, MidFirst partnership puts students last

It seems that the University could have negotiated something for the students too; a discount on interest charged or a waiver of some fees — anything that would have given the students some benefit for now having no competitive financial institution on campus.

This is just one more reason why the University and all of the other state universities should each by run by a separate Board of Trustees instead of the Arizona Board of Regents.  The alumni of each University should elect the members of each Board.

Each Board could negotiate a contract with the state to receive a stipulated amount (say last year’s budget) plus a cost of living increase each year. The Boards would then focus on the priorities established by the alumni as implemented by those they elect to the Board.

Penn State has a Board of Trustees with over 30 members, all elected by the alumni. Imagine how much those Board Members contribute to the University. Imagine how involved with the university.

If we did that in Arizona imagine the heightened level of interest the alumni would have in their universities. Imagine how much more they would contribute to their universities. Imagine how much better the product would be.

It’s time to take the management of the universities out of the hands of a few with little or no vested interest except perhaps their own aspirations.

Our education system is broken and nothing will change if we keep repeating the way we have always done it.

Art Consoli Scottsdale resident

×