Alumnus killed in Wisconsin traffic accident

Zachary Booher, a 2012 ASU graduate, was killed last Sunday in a single-car accident in northwest Wisconsin while following Warped Tour with his band.

Photo from While We're Up/Facebook

Photo from While We're Up/Facebook

An ASU alumnus was killed a week ago in a single-car accident along Interstate 94 in western Wisconsin.

Zachary Booher, who graduated from ASU this spring with a degree in film, was spending the summer following Warped Tour with his band, While We're Up. He, ASU alumnus and band member Steven Rouk, 22, and Rouk's step-brother, 19-year-old Trevor McCoy, were traveling from Warped Tour's concert site last Saturday in Tinley Park, Ill., to the next day's venue in Shakopee, Minn.

McCoy lost control of the Toyota Camry after a rear tire blew out last Sunday. The car overturned on the highway, according to an article in northwest Wisconsin's RiverTowns.net.

Booher, the front seat passenger, was pronounced dead at the scene, and McCoy and Rouk were both transported by ambulance to a hospital in nearby Eau Clair, Wis.

While We're Up released a statement on its Facebook page about the accident Monday evening.

"No one can speak in words the tragedy of losing Zach," the statement said. "He was not only an amazing musician in While We're Up, but he was also an irreplaceable friend to countless numbers of people. All of our thoughts go out to the Booher family, as they endure one of the greatest losses of their lives. We love you Zach."

While at ASU, Booher served as a community assistant, most recently in McClintock Hall. He and Rouk met during CA training their sophomore year, and they formed the two-man acoustic pop-punk band in March 2010.

Education sophomore Eva Vega met Booher and Rouk when she saw them playing outside of the Memorial Union this spring and stopped to watch. She chatted some with Rouk's girlfriend, and then with the band members.

"This is the first time I've known someone who died," Vega said. "It's hard for me to believe Zach is gone, and I just met him and wasn't expecting to really see him any more since he graduated. I can't imagine how Steven must feel."

Reach the reporter at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×