Police Beat: July 23

A 24-year-old Tucson woman was arrested Wednesday morning on the 1000 block of East University Drive on suspicion of an outstanding warrant and possessing dangerous drugs and drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Friday:

The woman was a passenger in a car stopped for a civil traffic violation and was found to have an outstanding City of Mesa warrant, according to the report.

A K-9 dog present during the traffic stop signaled that there was an odor of an illegal substance, police reported.

A search revealed a gray coin purse containing three syringes of heroin and another used syringe of heroin on the passenger floor, according to the report.

They also found a black purse containing a ziplock baggie with methamphetamine and a make-up bag labeled with the woman's nickname, police reported.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail where she was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 21-year-old Chandler man was arrested the morning of July 15 on the 600 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of marijuana possession and use, theft, using someone else's driver's license, providing a false report to law enforcement and criminal damage, according to a police report.

The man was contacted after a security guard stated that his identification card did not seem to be valid, according to the report.

Officers told the man he was under investigation and would be taken to jail if he lied, police reported. The man said he had no other form of identification on him, according to the report.

Officers asked the man to empty his pockets, but he left items in a front pocket, police reported.

They then asked him to sit on the curb, but the man sat on his foot despite the officer asking him to sit straight, according to the report.

The man then tried to run away but was tackled by one of the officers, police reported.

During this scuffle, he broke one officer's $25 "Quig Light" and lost the other officer's $60 handcuffs, according to the report.

In a post-Miranda interview, the man stated that his name was the name on the identification card, despite the contents of his wallet showing a different name on several ID's, credit cards and insurance cards, police reported.

Police also found a usable quantity of marijuana in the man's pocket, according to the report.

The man was booked into the Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, police reported.

Reach the reporter at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×