In the immortal words of the Wu-Tang Clan, “The saga continues …”

Last Thursday the U.S. Supreme Court upheld President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act in a move that surprised many of those opposed to the law, even some who supported it.

The ripple effect of the announcement seemed to represent the 21st century’s “shot heard ‘round the world.” Making for a confusing first couple of minutes after the announcement was made since many news organizations incorrectly reported that the law had been struck down.

Once the dust settled and the Supreme Court of the United States’ verdict had been read and translated correctly, the “shock and awe” took the country, even social media by storm.

Both sides, naturally, let their voices be heard. Those who supported the move to a universal healthcare system praised the ruling, while those against used the announcement as a kindling to their vitriol.

At the heart of those opposed; the mandate and dreaded notion of yet another “tax.” Those in support took solace in the fact that many who have gone without coverage, even those who have struggled to maintain what coverage they have, now had a law on their side.

Never mind the fact that almost every other industrialized country has a universal healthcare law in place, we Americans are a fickle bunch.

Personally, I’m in favor of the ACA (feel free to spam me with your rage). The idea that, in the eyes of those against the ACA, those like me are akin to “free loaders” is beyond insulting.

While the GOP and their supporters continue to misconstrue this law as yet another step toward Obama’s desire to turn the U.S. into some Communistic/Socialist country is baffling, more so frightening.

There are claims that this law is going to raise premiums, that waiting to see a doctor will take days – maybe even years – and that “death panels” will decide who lives and who doesn’t. In all, the naysayers have embraced hypocrisy and absurdity.

To be fair, we on the left can sometimes be overly idealistic in our views on how to change the world for the better. But to be clear, I’d rather be idealistic than dead due to a lack of coverage or dropped by my insurance because they would rather decide who and what is covered in an interest to protect their profit margin.

Before the ACA, insurance companies were notorious for raising premiums on a whim, on denying/dropping coverage to those in need (i.e., sick children) and rarely did doctor appointments start on time.

As for the mandate and the subsequent penalty fee (not a tax) on those who (for whatever reason) don’t want to be covered, these measures – over time – will force insurance companies to provide the very service they were designed to address at a cost we can afford.

If my income taxes go up, so be it. I’d rather pay taxes to receive healthcare (as opposed to plan renewals and co-pays) instead of having tax dollars go to war, bailouts – even raises for the “hardworking” congressman and woman who have more paid time off than the rest of us.

Battle lines have been drawn, and from all accounts, both sides are dug in deep into the trenches of what they believe to be true. In the words of Thomas Jefferson, “An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival,” and to that end, so to is a healthy one.

Regardless, before you swallow whatever your pundit of choice is serving, get the facts. Thanks to President Obama and Pearl Jam, we’ll all be “alive” that much longer.

Follow the reporter at @JOMOFO40

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.

×