ASU football ready to begin new era under Graham

Football coach Todd Graham signals commands during ASU’s Spring Game last April. The Sun Devils open Graham’s inaugural season on Aug. 30 against NAU. Photo by Sam Rosenbaum

Football coach Todd Graham signals commands during ASU’s Spring Game last April. The Sun Devils open Graham’s inaugural season on Aug. 30 against NAU. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The ASU football season does not officially begin until the Sun Devils enter Sun Devil Stadium on Aug. 30 to face the NAU Lumberjacks, but the foundation for the 2012 campaign was laid on Dec. 14, 2011 — when Todd Graham was hired as head coach.

Graham, a disciplinarian, immediately made drastic changes and altered the way ASU players approached life and the game of football.

Although the way of life was new for everyone, the team believes it will be beneficial.

“Coach Graham and his staff know the right way to run a program,” freshman running back D.J. Foster said.

History is often said to repeat itself, and the 2007 season (the last time ASU began a season with a new coach) is one the Sun Devils wouldn’t mind recreating. The team finished the regular season that year with a 10-2 record and a No. 11 Bowl Championship Series ranking.

However, finishing with 10 wins may seem like a dream for a team that is not only in the midst of a five-game losing streak, but is also entering the season with a new coach and quarterback.

Despite the long odds, the Sun Devils believe they have what it takes to win this season and that confidence comes from the helm of the program.

“Is it going to be easy?” Graham asked rhetorically. “No. Are we going to face a lot of adversity? Yes. Can we win a championship this first year? Yes we can … I didn’t take this job thinking you couldn’t win in the first year.”

Graham’s confidence is echoed by junior safety Alden Darby, who is part of a secondary that returns four players who had major contributions to last season’s defense.

“We’ve all been working hard,” Darby said. “We look at each other and are like ‘Wow, we’re going to be good.’ I know the talent (redshirt senior safety) Keelan (Johnson) has. I know the talent (redshirt senior cornerback) Deveron (Carr) has. (Redshirt junior cornerback) Osahon Irabor is a solid player as well.”

The secondary is home to those top four returning tacklers, but redshirt senior linebacker Brandon Magee will be the clear anchor to the ASU defense. After sitting out last season because of a torn Achilles, Magee is more than ready to take the field again and join his Sun Devil teammates.

The two-sport athlete impacts the ASU defense not only with skill, but with his leadership ability as well. Magee leads both verbally and by example. He is a player fellow defenders love playing alongside.

“He plays with the most passion I have ever seen for the game,” Darby said. “He’s a great guy. His athleticism is crazy. I love him out there and I’m glad he’s on my side.”

Graham has instilled an “own the ball” mantra with this team and believes the defense needs to force and create turnovers to be successful.

“That’s what our mission is going to be,” Graham said. “If we lead the Pac-12 in taking care of the ball and we lead the Pac-12 in takeaways, then we’ll win the league.”

Offensively, the Sun Devils will debut their fifth starting quarterback in five seasons when redshirt sophomore Taylor Kelly starts against NAU.

The Idaho native has limited game experience at the collegiate level, but he has shown a lot of poise and leadership ability throughout fall camp.

Kelly, however, will share snaps throughout the year with redshirt freshman Michael Eubank, who spent last season with the scout team.

Those skeptical about the lack of experience from the signal caller can take solace in knowing how deep the running back position is.

The most notable returner is senior Cameron Marshall, who rushed for 18 touchdowns and 1,050 yards in 2011. While Marshall carried the majority of the workload for ASU last season, he has plenty of company in 2012.

Redshirt senior James Morrison, redshirt sophomore Deantre Lewis, junior Marion Grice and freshman D.J. Foster all received looks during fall camp.

“We have so much talent in our backfield,” Kelly said. “We have a lot of different backs and we are going to be using them in different ways. I’m excited to see them out there.”

Foster also expects the group to be talented and knows they will all get their fair share of touches.

“We’re all close and we all know each other’s talents,” Foster said. “The coaching staff doesn’t want it to go to waste. It’s a great thing that we have so many weapons. I don’t think any of us will be sitting, wasting our talents.”

Despite the fan’s excitement of a new era led by a new coach, many fans and writers outside of Tempe expect the Sun Devils to struggle this season. Many believe installing new offensive and defensive schemes, coupled with a new quarterback and a lack of overall depth, is too much for ASU to overcome.

The players are not buying it.

“Our mindset is we’re going to give relentless effort and we’re going to go all out,” Darby said. “We don’t wear these ‘All In’ bands for no reason.”

No one who has ever talked to Graham would expect anything less of him, but the coach echoes Darby’s feelings and wants this season to be a successful one, especially for those players that will be wrapping up their careers in Tempe following this season.

“I don’t really want to go to just a bowl game,” Graham said. “I want to win a championship. I think Cameron Marshall deserves that from this program. I think these kids deserve it.”

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×