ASU football routs NAU 63-6, gets Graham's first win

Senior running back Cameron Marshall dives into the end zone for a touchdown during ASU’s 63-6 win over NAU on Thursday. Marshall led the Sun Devils with two rushing touchdowns in the first quarter. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Since his arrival in Tempe, ASU football coach Todd Graham has promised a disciplined team with a powerful, downhill running game. In his first game, a 63-6 drubbing of in-state rival NAU, Graham delivered.

After committing a plethora of penalties under former coach Dennis Erickson in each of the past five seasons, the Sun Devils (1-0) finished Thursday night’s contest with a measly four penalties for 30 yards, none of them on defense. On the other side of the field, the Lumberjacks (0-1) committed four penalties for 55 yards.

“At three minutes left in the game, the white hat came over to me and said, ‘Coach, I just want to tell you, your guys are unbelievable,’” Graham said. “That meant as much to me as the win did.”

Offensively, the Sun Devils found the majority of their success in the running game where they rushed for 305 yards, with 169 of them in the first half.

“I was very proud of the running back core,” Graham said. “I don’t know if I can mention one of those, they all did a good job.”

Senior running back Cameron Marshall started the rushing attack with a pair of first quarter touchdowns. Marshall scored from both one and nine yards out.

The Sun Devils added three more rushing touchdowns in the first half with one each from freshman running back D.J. Foster, junior running back Marion Grice and redshirt freshman quarterback Michael Eubank. All of them scored their first touchdowns in maroon and gold.

“That first touchdown meant just as much as the 10 touchdowns (in a high school playoff game),” Foster said. “It’s just starting a new chapter in my life. I’m excited for it and I’m ready for it.”

While the offensive fireworks may have stolen the show, the swarming defensive put on a performance just as impressive as they spent the majority of the night in the Lumberjacks’ backfield.

Defensively, the Sun Devils forced three turnovers. Redshirt senior linebacker Brandon Magee returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown. Junior safety Alden Darby and freshman safety Laiu Moeakiola each added an interception of their own.

“We were very assignment sound,” Darby said of the secondary. “We all had one pulse out there tonight. We felt like the world was on our shoulders and we knew everybody was watching us and we showed up.”

Junior safety Chris Young made an impressive Sun Devil debut, as he recorded eight tackles and two and a half of them were for a loss.

“(He) did an outstanding job,” Graham said. “He’s a guy that has unbelievable ability that’s really come on in camp. I felt he played exactly like I thought he would.”

While almost everything went right for the Sun Devils, they did turn the ball over once when Marshall was unable to handle a pitch on a third-and-two play.

Notes:

- Prior to the game, Marine and junior defensive tackle Jake Sheffield led the Sun Devils running out of Tillman Tunnel while carrying an American flag.

“It means a lot being able to represent all those who serve and those who have served,” Sheffield said. “To fly that flag which signifies our beautiful country and the freedoms we have (is special). I feel blessed and humble to have the opportunity.”

- Eubank, Foster, Magee, Grice and freshman wide receiver Rick Smith all scored their first ASU touchdowns. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Taylor Kelly also threw his first career touchdown pass.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×