Sun Devil football players eager to hit the gridiron come fall

Even though the start of the ASU football season ­— just seven days away — may seem like it is just around the corner, the players are chomping at the bit and wishing the start was even sooner.

“Man I’m excited,” junior defensive end Junior Onyeali said. “I think everyone just wants to hit someone else besides our own team.”

While the entire team shares Onyeali’s enthusiasm, senior linebacker Brandon Magee is especially excited.

Magee, who missed the entire 2011 season with a torn Achilles tendon, simply wants to run through Sun Devil’s Stadium Tillman Tunnel and experience the thrill of playing in a meaningful football game — something he hasn’t done since Dec. 2, 2010.

“The most exciting part is to be out there with my teammates, strapping on that helmet,” Magee said. “(I can’t wait) to go out there in front of all the fans. It’s been a year for me and I’m ready to go.”

To prepare for the Aug. 30 season opener against NAU, the Sun Devils installed their scout team Monday, signaling an official end to preseason camp.

The recent installation of a scout team and formatting practices to model a typical game week has shifted the team’s focus and raised the players’ intensities.

“It’s real,” Magee said. “It’s time to turn it up, focus on the game plan and see what NAU is going to do. We’re ready.”

Todd Graham discusses practice focus and efficiency from The State Press on Vimeo.

Notes:

- Coach Todd Graham says the team will look into picking captains this weekend.

“I spent a lot of time and go through a lot of thought process in that because I feel it is really important,” Graham said. “We probably won’t have more than a couple.”

Graham expects the team to have two set captains for the season, and then they will have different ones each week for the games. Graham wants his captains to not only be players that contribute significantly on the field, but players that represent the program well in all walks of life.

- Redshirt junior tight end Max Smith has been cleared to practice and was in pads for the first time since spring football. Prior to practice, Smith was working on long snapping with senior punter Josh Hubner.

- Junior defensive tackle Jake Sheffield was also practicing today. Sheffield began fall camp in a walking boot and has been rehabbing at ‘muscle beach’ for the majority of camp.

- Freshman wide receiver Rick Smith, redshirt freshman linebacker Israel Marshall, redshirt senior running back James Morrison and redshirt junior running back R.J. Robinson all wore green “no-contact” jerseys.

- Junior running back Marion Grice participated in team drills and took first-team reps after sitting out team drills during Tuesday’s practice.

- Redshirt junior wide receiver Kevin Ozier took a couple of reps with the first-team offense while redshirt senior wide receiver A.J. Pickens was working with the scout team.

- Hubner took care of short-snapping duties on field goal attempts while junior quarterback Ryan Wood was holding.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×