ASU WR Middlebrooks ready to play against Illinois

Junior wide receiver Kyle Middlebrooks (7) tries to run past a UA defender during the Sun Devils’ home game against the Wildcats on Sept. 5, 2012. Now a redshirt senior, Middlebrooks looks to mentor a reinvigorated special teams unit and be more productive on punt and kickoff returns. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Junior wide receiver Kyle Middlebrooks (7) tries to run past a UA defender during the Sun Devils’ home game against the Wildcats last season. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Junior receiver Kyle Middlebrooks had to watch the ASU football team’s 63-6 win over NAU on Thursday on the sidelines.

Due to a shoulder injury, he was not cleared for the game. But he has been fully participating at practice this week, and he is ready to play in his first game of the season.

“Especially just seeing last week’s game kind of gets me a little bit hyped,” Middlebrooks said. “Now it’s just getting my keys, getting everything ready for this game, actually practicing and doing the little things.”

Middlebrooks has not played since last season. He is hoping to make an immediate impact in ASU’s game against Illinois.

Middlebrooks sat out and wore a green “no-contact” jersey for a lot of practices during the fall. He talked about how he is going to stay on the field the rest of the season.

“Going to treatment every day, staying hydrated and doing the right things,” Middlebrooks said.

Graham not happy with team’s focus

During Wednesday’s practice, the Sun Devils performed well physically, but not mentally.

Coach Todd Graham said after practice Wednesday that he was happy with the competitiveness, but not with the finished product three days before game day.

“Way too many mental errors today,” Graham said. “Today was a little bit careless. Great effort, but if you give great effort and you go in the wrong direction, that’s not very good.”

Graham was not happy with the practice performance this close to ASU’s game against Illinois.

“This is a huge game for us,” Graham said. “We’re going against a formidable opponent this week.”

Graham said ASU had similar mental errors last week in their game against NAU. The offense had 16 errors and the defense had 12.

Graham emphasized his point that his team needs to fix these mistakes before Saturday. His mindset is very simple: The team that makes fewer mental mistakes wins the game.

Nose tackle update

One thing is for sure, freshman defensive lineman Jaxon Hood will be starting at the nose tackle spot on Saturday.

His backup is a different story.

Junior defensive lineman Mike Pennel has been wearing a yellow scout jersey all week. Graham said that his size was giving the offensive linemen a better look. Graham also said Pennel will not play Saturday because he broke team standards.

In his place has been redshirt senior defensive lineman Toa Tuitea.

Tuitea suffered a bicep injury early in fall camp and has consistently practiced until recently.

Defensive line coach Paul Randolph said Tuitea made an effort to come back strong after the injury.

“Toa has been working, he’s been fighting through it,” Randolph said. “I think his injury is getting better day by day and I was really pleased with the reps he got. I think he is on pace to work his way back and be fully recovered.”

Randolph said that he will be ready for Saturday and hopes he can make an impact.

Injury Report

No players again in green "no-contact" jerseys at practice.

With Middlebrooks being cleared to go, the only player that isn’t able to play Saturday due to injury is senior defensive lineman Corey Adams.

Redshirt junior cornerback Osahan Irabor sat out of team drills.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×