Letter: Consenting adults can make decisions about sex on their own

In response to the Sean McCauley's Sept. 5 column “The tragedy of the modern relationship”:

I cannot begin to describe how disappointed I am in this article. Who is this reporter to police the relationships of others and the bodies of women? The way we dress or our decisions are of no concern to you — unless we specifically ask for your opinion. I know that when I make decisions about my body, they do not affect anyone else.

Furthermore, why does the author only blame women for having sex on the first date? Last I checked both parties must consent to have sex. It is not the women’s job to keep men’s hormones in check. In addition, when men hold doors open for me, I consider it a basic sign of kindness — but it’s not required. You don’t have to be a “gentleman,” just treat me like an equal human being and I will respect you.

Sex and respect are not the same thing. As consenting adults, we are able to weigh our decisions with the consequences that may occur as a result of what we choose. Sex isn’t something we should be ashamed of. If you choose to have it, however you choose to do it, make sure you consider what could happen. Be prepared for every outcome. Make sure you are ready. Be proud of whatever you choose to do.

Whether or not you choose to have sex is your own personal business. Don’t let anyone make you feel like you have made the wrong choice.

Not even some columnist for a college paper.

Liz Lemon

State Press reader

×