Football seeks to avenge last year’s loss to Illinois

Redshirt senior running back James Morrison receives a handoff during ASU’s Spring Game last April. Morrison and senior wide receiver Jamal Miles return to the team after both were suspended for violating team rules. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

After an impressive show in week one, the ASU football team hopes to use its week two matchup — the first true test of the season — to prove its drubbing over FCS foe NAU was not a fluke.

“I just can’t wait for this one; it’s a real test,” junior defensive end Junior Onyeali said.

Although the Sun Devils (1-0) squared off against the Illini last season, the 2012 version of the game will likely be significantly different, as both schools have new coaching staffs and schemes.

“Their defense is different, their offense is different,” ASU coach Todd Graham said. “It’s all new coordinators, so from a schematic standpoint, (film) didn’t help us at all.”

However, film study did give ASU a glimpse at Illinois’s (1-0) personnel and Graham came away impressed.

“Illinois’ defense is special,” Graham said. “(They have) a very good backend, a very good linebacker core and a very, very good defensive line. Their inside defensive tackles and their defensive ends are very special players.”

In Illinois’ 17-14 victory over ASU last season, the Illini’s defensive limited the Sun Devils to 106 rushing yards and sacked former quarterback Brock Osweiler six times. Although this year’s defense does not feature Whitney Mercilus, who was drafted in the first round of the 2012 NFL draft, it is still very capable of making plays and changing momentum.

“This game is obviously a very quality Big Ten opponent that has got a very physical and defense that can cause you a lot of problems,” Graham said. “They caused six fumbles last week and three interceptions, so they are batting balls and doing very well.”

The Sun Devils will keep their philosophy simple — don’t turn the ball over, don’t commit “stupid” penalties and refrain from mental mistakes and negative plays.

“If we get beat, we want the opponent to really beat us,” Onyeali said. “We don’t want to beat ourselves.”

Graham also wants his offense to know it is acceptable to punt the ball and nothing should ever be forced.

ASU’s offense is designed to both minimize risk and get the ball into the hands of explosive players, including senior receiver Jamal Miles, who missed the team’s first game because of a team rules violation. Miles is available for Saturday’s game.

Across the field, Illini quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase left Illinois’ week one game early after an apparent ankle injury. Scheelhaase’s status for Saturday is unknown, but the signal caller has been limited in practice this week.

However, Graham is prepping the Sun Devils as if Scheelhaase will play. Even if he doesn’t, ASU knows Illinois still has weapons on offense.

“I think their running backs are some special players,” Graham said. “They are very, very diverse — much like our team. They have a lot of athletic top guys. (They have) very good skill players.”

If the Sun Devils are able to limit Illinois’ defensive pressure and execute explosive plays on offense, they will likely leave Frank Kush Field Saturday night with a 3-1 all-time record against Illinois.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×