Pitchfork Sports: ASU Club Soccer teams kick off season vs U of A

ASU club soccer looks for a picture-perfect season. Photo courtesy of asusoccer.yolasite.com.

ASU club soccer-- both men's and women's-- looks for a picture-perfect season. Photo courtesy of asusoccer.yolasite.com.

Update: The women’s club soccer team will not have to wait long to play their rivals, as its first game is in Tempe against the Wildcats. The men’s club soccer team has already started their season, going 2-1-1 with their lone tie against the Wildcats of Arizona.

Tryouts were held for the men’s and women’s club soccer teams in late August and early September, and now the two teams will start to build chemistry and work together. (Tryouts for a majority of club sports take place even before the semester).

The men’s team was able to rebound from last year’s regional loss to U of A and a sub-par performance in the first half to score in the final minutes of last week’s game.

The women’s club soccer team is not to be confused with the NCAA affiliated ASU team that has gone 4-3-1 so far this season.

Despite no NCAA affiliation, the men’s team still has the potential to play at a competitive-- and arguably NCAA-caliber-- level.

Because both teams are club sports, both are a part of the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association.

Different schools and clubs make the league into different regional leagues. The men’s and women’s team play in their divisions called the South West Section and the West Coast Soccer Association, respectably.

The teams will play competition like NAU, U of A, Stanford and USC in their divisions.

Most games that are played in Tempe are available to watch online streaming live via Ustream. Previous matches are also available to watch online as well.

The women’s club team will host the blackout game vs. U of A on Sunday at 11 a.m. on the West SRC fields. The men’s club team plays NAU on the September 30 at 3 p.m. in Tempe.

You can reach me at etrianta@asu.edu

×