Letter: Proposition 204 funds universities

The Arizona Students’ Association is a student-led nonprofit and nonpartisan organization that represents the 130,000 Arizona university students and advocates for affordable and accessible higher education by advocating to elected officials, organizing students and developing student leaders.

ASA’s main focus this semester will be registering students to vote and helping pass Proposition 204, the Quality Education and Jobs Initiative. We support Proposition 204 because it provides up to $300 million for universities and half of that money will go directly to students in the form of financial aid. Arizona invests an embarrassing amount in state-based financial aid, but Proposition 204 will create a state-based financial aid system so students will have a viable alternative to student loans. As students, we can’t afford not to pass Proposition 204.

ASA is out everyday registering students to vote. We are registering students to vote so that elected officials will prioritize student issues. If you are sick of seeing bad legislation that would have forced students to pay $2,000 out-of-pocket toward tuition or have the threat of student loan interest rates double, then register and get out to vote.

You hear the old cliché that this election is the most important you will ever see. Well, this time it really is true — join me in voting for candidates that prioritize higher education and vote yes on Proposition 204.

Megan Riley

Undergraduate Student

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×