A few dozen protesters gathered outside the Immigration and Customs Enforcement building in downtown Phoenix Wednesday afternoon to protest Senate Bill 1070. The law went into effect Tuesday, two years after the state legislature passed it and three months after the Supreme Court ruled to uphold parts of the bill. Illegal immigrants were among the speakers at Wednesday’s protest.

As protesters gather near the ICE field office in downtown Phoenix, ASU student Tony Verdugo (left) and Angel Ramirez play with a megaphone as Andres Vasquez tests his flexibility (Aaron Lavinsky | The State Press)

Police SUVs are seen lined up across the street from the ICE field office in downtown Phoenix. (Aaron Lavinsky | The State Press)

Protesters holding anti-SB1070 posters gather outside of the ICE field office in downtown Phoenix. (Ana Ramirez | The State Press)

Maria Cruz holds back tears while addressing the media during an anti-SB1070 protest in downtown Phoenix.

ASU senior Andie Flores holds an anti-Jan Brewer sign during an SB1070 protest wednesday outside of the ICE field office in downtown Phoenix. (Aaron Lavinsky | The State Press)

×