As human beings, we have the capacity to reason and question aspects of reality. Our ability to reason is not a mere luxury that comes with having a brain. Unlike plants or animals, we have to constantly choose to act according to our instincts, our reason, or both; this is the essence of a moral code.

Everyone has a set of moral values. Without them, humans wouldn’t be able to function. Unlike a plant that has no choice in getting the nutrients it needs from the Earth and sun, a human being can actively choose to eat or starve. We have seen people that have chosen one or the other.

Among the most noticeable and important factors in forming morals that guide our decisions are the two most feared topics in social interaction: politics and religion.

Let’s start with religion. A majority of Americans says that their moral code comes from God.  According to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, Americans on average answer 16 out of the 32 questions on a survey regarding religious knowledge correctly.

It is not very promising if our goal is to become more knowledgeable and apply God-given morals in everyday situations. Whether you are religious or not, reasonable people can agree that one of the most important questions you can ask yourself is why you are or aren’t religious. Can you find morals outside of God?

This is not about the employment of religious beliefs to make certain life decisions like voting, but rather how well you know the moral code you use to make decisions. So many times we see people vote for certain policies based on what seem to be strong religious or scientific beliefs, but when asked about the actual religious text or scientific origin, they are left wordless. This is clearly a waste of human potential and the cause for a lot of senseless policy in government and personal lives.

How about this: Are you a Republican or Democrat?  Last month, The Pew Research Center came out with a report that places individuals within a political spectrum according to their answers to the political quiz in the study. Where do you fit? The study shows that people ages 18-29 lean liberal in political ideology. Students like us fall right into this category.

If someone asked you the major differences between your political beliefs and President Obama’s, would you be able to specify the areas of policy or philosophy in which you disagree? As I have written in past columns, diversity in political philosophy is essential to a flourishing political system and to people as individuals. If Obama represents all liberals and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney all conservatives, we are in a lot of trouble.

If you are a liberal, have you ever asked yourself how Obama’s policies have differed from the Bush administration? Coming from a reasonable standpoint, in almost every area (war on drugs, civil liberties, military wars, marriage equality), the Obama administration is the same or worse.

If you are a conservative, how can Romney represent you after his support for some of the largest spending the federal government has ever undertaken? I’m referring, of course, to car bailouts, the stimulus bill and bank bailouts.

After seeing these two professional politicians in action, it is clear they do not represent the political ideology held by their political parties. Are you truly following a political philosophy or just a candidate?

We can assert that a stronger, clearer, and more mature set of values will consequently lead to a more fulfilling life. This is the beauty of philosophy.

But how many people think about this every day?

Reach the columnist at calfaro2@asu.edu or on Twitter at @AlfaroAmericano

×