An open letter to Meredith Walker

In response to Meredith Walker’s Sept. 26 letter to the editor, “Islam: a not so peaceful religion.”

I am sorry to hear that you are harboring these misconceptions about Islam. What is more frightening is that you are feeding the seeds of hate with your message, instead of fostering peace. If you actually study the history of Islam, the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)'s life, and the Quran, you will find countless examples that portray Islam as a peaceful religion. Islam is the religion in which women are elevated, respected and valued so much that taking good care of your mother grants you heaven. Islam is the religion that forbids the Muslim brothers and sisters to be angry with one another for more than three days. Islam is the religion in which speaking the truth, building a good character, helping the poor, visiting the sick and several other positive actions are constantly encouraged. Just as with any religion, you have to study the original texts to understand its essence, instead of basing the religion off the current people who are practicing it.

During these times, we have to focus on bridging the gap of disunity in humanity. To do that, we have to continue learning about the different religions and cultures with the original texts and credible teachers. We have to understand and respect each other’s religion, culture, and values to live in harmony. We have to be able to look past our differences and work together to eliminate or alleviate the problems that are more critical to everyone, like poverty, war, healthcare and equal education. This understanding and change cannot be restricted to one political party; We all have the responsibility to start this change.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Aasima Khokhar

Graduate Student

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

Read our Editorial Board's letter here. Read a collection of responses to Meredith Walker's Sept. 26 letter here.

×