Art Murmur: Welcome to Monsterland

Customers line up-- like the heads on the wall. Photo by Alec Damiano.

This bar and grill is where October goes to die for the other 11 months. Photo by Alec Damiano.

Here lies Monsterland Bar and Grill, nestled next to a fancy- schmancy bistro in a vintage strip mall on Main Street in downtown Mesa.

You look at the brightly colored posters on the window and hesitate to go in. But once you creak open the door, the cold breeze seeps up on you as you stare inside. An immobile zombie with a half-eaten face blankly stares at you as you slither your way through a maze. Darkness floods the room, only illuminated by the neon glow of the cemetery and bar lights. Gargantuan creatures come to life as you sip up a bowl of Green Slime (green chili enchilada soup) and down a shot of Deadly Nightshade.

Originally opened as a haunted house last year, Monsterland was reborn as a restaurant bar in April. According to an article in the Phoenix New Times, co-owner Kevin Wynn wanted the attraction to be a year-round haunted house that horror fans could enjoy long after October dies.

The decor was crafted by Midnight Studios, promotions person Kirsty Smith said. They also do commissions and their work is featured in attractions such as Bates Motel.

You might also get to enjoy some live music during your meal. I remember tuning in to a young man playing Eric Clapton covers on acoustic guitar. But, Monsterland holds a variety of events year-round such as Scareoke and Gay Day. Their events calendar can be seen here.

This year Monsterland will also sponsor Nightmare on Main Street, a massive Halloween party that will be held Saturday, Oct. 27 at 7 p.m.

Combichrist, Komor Kommando, The Strand and Hardwire will perform. There will be retail and food vendors, a beer festival (for those with valid I.D.), fire dancers and a costume contest. The grand prize is $1000 among other oddities. The event is open to people age 16 and older; tickets are $15.

Do you know of any interesting art, entertainment or crafts you’d like me to cover? Tweet me at @DamianoAlec or email me at Alec.Damiano@asu.edu. To see some of my artwork, click here.

×