ASU women’s golf wins 4th-place, closing fall season

The No. 3 ASU women’s golf team wrapped up the first half of the 2012-13 season with a fourth-place finish in the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational.

Coach Melissa Luellen said that considering the extent of the team’s injuries, she was “extremely proud” of the effort given from the players.

Luellen added that the injuries forced the golfers to excel in the short game. This led to strokes being lost due to shorter drives off the tee. Even with the injuries, the team played at an even level, never getting too high or too low.

Out of the 15 rounds for the ASU golfers, which spanned 270 holes, the players had only three holes worse than a bogey. This feat was accomplished despite a myriad of hazards, most notably the large flora surrounding the fairways at the University of Texas Golf Club.

ASU collectively shot a 5-over 868 over the three rounds, and were at even par through the first two rounds.

ASU finished behind a trio of elite SEC schools — No. 2 Florida, Arkansas and defending national champion No. 6 Alabama. The Sun Devils were six strokes back from the victor.

Sophomore Noemi Jimenez and junior Laura Blanco both shot 1-under and both finished tied for seventh. Junior Daniela Ordonez placed 15th and sophomore Emilie Alonso was 21st in the 81-player field.

Following the Betsy Rawls Invite, ASU will have a few months off before resuming play in the spring. The Sun Devils begin the spring portion of the season at the Northrop Grumman Invitational Feb. 11 through 13 in Palos Verdes, Calif.

ASU will utilize its time away from competition to get back to 100 percent health. Luellen said that in addition to Ordonez and Lee’s injuries, Blanco is enduring a neck injury.

“For three tournaments in a row we have not been at full health,” she said. “Our goal in the offseason (midseason) is to get healthy.”

Luellen said that Lee is going to see a wrist specialist, and Ordonez would see a back specialist to help in the rehabilitation process.

She said when the team finally gets to full-strength; the players believe they can play with anyone in the country. The Sun Devils entered the preseason with a gaudy top-five ranking.

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu

×