Women's swim sluggish in loss to NAU, holds youth clinic

The ASU swim and dive program lost its first meet of the season to NAU on Saturday.

With the way the meet was set up, the only group to compete today for ASU was the women.

“We were pretty poor today,” swim coach Dorsey Tierney-Walker said. “Our women did not come prepared and they got beat by a very good NAU team.”

Tierney-Walker said she was disappointed with most of her team but there were a couple of women that stood out, notably junior Tristin Baxter.

Baxter won the 300 free in a come from behind finish, according to Tierney-Walker.

The ASU men competed in intersquad races on Saturday while the women were competing against the Lumberjacks.

“Our men looked like they were pretty competitive today,” Tierney-Walker said. “I was impressed with our newcomers.”

Tierney-Walker said she was happy with how junior Alex Coci performed.

After the competition was over, both ASU and NAU helped put on a swimming clinic for local clubs.

“It was awesome, our men and women were fantastic and they showed tremendous character,” Tierney-Walker said.

The Sun Devils then took a hike after the clinic for a little team bonding.

ASU will stay up in Flagstaff for the next three days to train and improve.

“The high altitude will make us better, we still have a lot of improving to do,” Tierney-Walker said.

Reach the reporter at ross.dunham@asu.edu

×