Letter: Downtown campus lacks student opportunities

After living in Yuma for about 19 1/2  years, you can imagine my excitement when I finally worked my way into ASU after transferring from a community college. I’ve wanted to attend Walter Cronkite since I heard about it as a sophomore in high school. Now that I have settled here and have started involvement on campus, I’m ready to seek opportunities off campus.

First of all, I love it here. The environment is liberating and challenging all at once. There’s plenty to do on campus and a lot of unique individuals to meet. However, as mentioned in the previous article, “Downtown campus groups promoting community focus,” there needs to be more effort in integrating students into the community. As one who enjoys involvement and getting to know the community, I can appreciate the work that is being done by groups such as ASU Downtown Alive! to increase student involvement off campus. All I’m saying is that I want to see more of it.

I know it’s still early in the semester, but I would like to see more opportunities opened up for students to get involved. I really enjoy seeing tables between the University Center and the Cronkite building, and I hope that continues and comes around more often. More promotion of activities or opportunities that are off campus can really help motivate students to go, which will help build their resume, strengthen their character and develop friendships. Therefore, it should be an ongoing goal to bring community groups, organizations and leaders onto campus to help inform students about what is going on in downtown Phoenix and how they can participate.

Nicole Northcutt

Undergraduate

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×