Valley Metro considers bus, light rail fare increase

Valley Metro is proposing its first fare increase since 2009, which may affect student U-Pass prices for the 2013-2014 school year. (Photo by Manikandan Vijayakumar)

A proposed Valley Metro fare increase, which would begin in March 2013, may affect ASU student U-Pass prices for the 2013-14 school year.

The proposed fare change would raise the one-way transit fare prices from $1.75 to $2.00 and an all-day pass from $3.50 to $4.00.

In addition to the proposed fare increase, Valley Metro aims to discontinue the current three-day pass and will implement a new 15-day pass costing $33.00.

Valley Metro spokeswoman Susan Tierney said the cost of transit operations has continued to rise, and a fare increase is necessary in order to maintain transit service.

“About 25 percent of the fares go toward operation costs, and since 2009, our costs have increased by 3 to 4 percent annually,” Tierney said. “We look to increase the fares in order to keep up with costs to operate.”

Valley Metro increased its fares from $1.25 to $1.75 in 2009. This was the first increase since 1994.

ASU U-Pass prices will increase if the fare change is approved, according to the Valley Metro website.

Tierney said ASU Parking and Transit Services would determine any U-Pass price increase.

Art studies junior Briana Omphroy relies on her U-Pass because she uses the light rail as her primary mode of transportation to campus.

“It’s frustrating if they decide to raise the price of the U-Pass, but at the same time, I would still buy one next year since it is cheaper than parking,” Omphroy said.

The price for an annual U-Pass is $150, while parking on the Tempe campus can range from $210 to $780.

According to an ASU Parking and Transit Services press release, it is unknown how much the price of a U-Pass will increase.

However, Parking and Transit services will still offer a student discount.

Health solutions senior Kevin Afuso said he considered buying a U-Pass for the school year, but opted to pay for parking at the Tempe campus and ride the free intercampus shuttles to class.

Afuso said he does take the light rail from time to time.

“I wouldn’t mind paying more for fares,” Afuso said. “If it costs more in order to make sure transit service continues, it’s totally worth it.”

Valley Metro is hosting open meetings in the Valley through Oct. 30 for public input on the proposed fare change and will hold a formal public meeting Nov. 1 in downtown Phoenix.

The Valley Metro board will vote on the proposed increase in December.

Reach the reporter at amy.edelen@asu.edu

×