Much like prohibition in the 1920s, the “war” on drugs has mostly been in vain.

The solution in a growing faction of today’s society is to legalize some, if not all drugs, in an attempt to save on needless spending and the overcrowding of our justice system. Many find justification on the legalization of drugs in the profits that would be had via taxes.

Presently there are 18 states (and Washington, D.C.) with medical marijuana provisions. Both Washington and Colorado recently passed legislation that look to completely decriminalize marijuana altogether within their borders.

Many see these advances as a positive turning point in our culture, whereas I do not.

Of the now 18 states with currently relaxed marijuana laws, eight were conceived before 2004. Using data from that time period, statistics in the Netherlands, Spain and Canada (all with relaxed drug laws at that time) show a higher percentage of drug-related crime than that of the United States.

While my argument is not to say that marijuana users are more likely to commit crime, the evidence clearly shows that giving way to the legalization of drugs does lend itself to increased crime. Whether you feel that marijuana is a gateway drug or not, the slippery slope we are heading down in the legalizing of marijuana will only, in time, give way to the legalization of much more.

Personal freedoms aside, laws are meant for the betterment of the society at large. While some are more able to control their vices, some are not. For those unable, the rest of the community bares the brunt of cleaning up after their messes, if not having to step over them in the streets.

Arguing that our nation’s stance on alcohol, nicotine and prescription drugs is hypocritical to that of marijuana is justifiable, but adding to the long list of mistakes we have made does not right the various wrongs our culture has encouraged.

Education and strict medical marijuana practices are the only solutions in my mind.

If after honest and accurate drug related education is administered (both at home and in school), simple fines would reduce an overburdened criminal justice system while still bringing in a profit. This, along with eradicating senseless raids and task forces, will reduce if not eliminate our nations overspending on the matter.

Those with actual medical conditions should still have access to what is available, but it should still be reserved to those who need it, rather than want it.

There are larger issues at play if mankind feels the need to disassociate from society by means of “recreational” drug use. As fun as it is, it advances nothing. Worrying about where one might acquire their next fix shouldn’t even be a part of the conversation.

Reach the columnist at jbfortne@asu.edu or follow him at @JOMOFO40.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×