Top 5 most memorable Bond girls

Photo courtesy of EON Productions
Photo courtesy of EON Productions

Photo courtesy of EON Productions

The highly anticipated release of “Skyfall” next week will mark the 23rd James Bond film and the 50th anniversary of the Bond series. Only seven actors have played the legendary double agent, but there have been over a dozen actresses who have had the opportunity to portray the numerous women of Agent 007’s life, otherwise known as the Bond girls.

The State Press has compiled a list of the five most memorable Bond girls to check out while awaiting the newest film’s release.

Honey Ryder (1962 "Dr. No")

It was 50 years ago when the Swiss actress Ursula Andress portrayed the first Bond girl, Honey Ryder. However, the scene in which the character first walks out of the ocean in a white bikini has become iconic.

Honey Ryder teamed up with Sean Connery’s Bond to defeat the evil Dr. No, setting the score for everything a Bond girl should be: sharp, brave and sexy.

Pussy Galore (1964 "Goldfinger")

Pussy Galore is debatably the most infamous Bond girl due to the fact that her name serves as a double entendre.

Honor Blackman played Pussy Galore, the martial-arts-practicing, female-aviation-group-leading, private-pilot to villain Goldfinger.

The character did not immediately give in to 007’s charm. She turns Bond in to Goldfinger when she catches him eavesdropping. Eventually, she deviously turns on the villain and assists Bond in hijacking a plane and defeating the evil Goldfinger.

Confident and ruthless, Pussy Galore is one of the most cunning Bond girls.

Anya Amasova aka Agent XXX (1977 "The Spy Who Loved Me")

Barbara Bach portrayed this devious, code-named Bond girl.

Amasova is sneaky and an excellent sleuth. As a member of the KGB, she spent most of the film striving to outshine Bond.

Unlike other Bond girls who willingly follow Bond in his missions, Agent XXX provided intense competition for Agent 007. This makes her one of the most entertaining and rebellious Bond girls.

Giacinta "Jinx" Johnson (2002 "Die Another Day")

Ten years later, Academy Award Winning actress Halle Berry’s portrayal of Bond’s ally, Jinx, is still among her most remembered roles.

Maybe it is because of the tribute paid to Honey Ryder with her entering the film out of the ocean in an orange bikini. It may also be due to the character’s tough as nails attitude and actions throughout the film.

Whatever it is, Jinx is a favorite modern Bond heroine.

Vesper Lynd (2006 "Casino Royale")

“Casino Royale” was the first of Ian Fleming’s James Bond novels. Eva Green portrays the initial Bond girl of the series in the serious film version of the introductory novel. (The 1967 version is a satire).

Vesper Lynd is one of the only Bond girls that the agent fell in love with throughout all of the films, which is why she is so alluring as a character. Bond is so in love with this character that he runs away to Venice with her and almost resigns from his career.

In the end, Lynd dies and Bond rejoins the service leading into the next film “Quantum of Solace,” where Bond wants to seek revenge. The captivating effect she has on the character James Bond and audience makes Vesper Lynd an immensely memorable Bond girl.

Reach the reporter at lindsey.lucero@asu.edu

×