Tempe Police resume searching lake for missing student

Family and friends of exploratory freshman Jack Culolias put up posters like this one at the Memorial Union's P.O.D. Market since he was reported missing Sunday. On Thursday afternoon, Tempe Police stopped searching for Culolias in Tempe Town Lake. (Photo by Jenn Allen)

Family and friends of exploratory freshman Jack Culolias put up posters like this one at the Memorial Union's P.O.D. Market since he was reported missing Sunday.  Tempe Police resumed searching for Culolias in Tempe Town Lake on Friday. (Photo by Jenn Allen)

UPDATED AT 2:30 P.M. FRIDAY

Police are searching  for missing exploratory freshman Jack Culolias in a new area of Tempe Town Lake and the Salt River Basin following a tip received Thursday night.

Tempe Police spokesman Sgt. Michael Pooley said in an email that Tempe Police received a call from a “concerned citizen” Thursday night about a possible sighting of a body in Tempe Town Lake.

The caller told police she was flying in a helicopter over the area and saw a silhouette of a body, Pooley said.

Police began their search at 7 a.m. Friday, Pooley said.

The location now under investigation is more than a mile northeast of the area including McClintock Bridge and ending near Dobson Road, which police searched for three days, Pooley said.

Culolias, 19, was reported missing to ASU Police on Sunday  after last being seen at a fraternity social event at the Cadillac Ranch restaurant in Tempe Marketplace around 11 p.m. on Nov. 30.

Police moved their investigation to Tempe Town Lake Tuesday after Culolias’s mother found a shoe that she believed could have belonged to her son near the lake, but stopped searching Thursday afternoon after finding no evidence of the missing student.

Pooley said DNA has not concluded whether the shoe belongs to Culolias, but results should come back early next week.

Trained K-9s are searching the lake again for previously missed evidence.

Anyone with information can send anonymous tips online through “TipSoft”, a software program used by Tempe Police,  or call the Tempe Police Department at (480) 350-8311.

Reach the reporter at mkthomp5@asu.edu or follow her on twitter at @mariakthompson

×