Johnson, Hubner to play in East-West Shrine Game

Senior Keelan Johnson might have played his last game in a Sun Devils uniform, and senior Josh Hubner may have signed an agent, but they are not done playing college football.

Safety Johnson and punter Hubner were both invited and will play in the 88th East-West Shrine Game.

The all-star game will be on Jan. 19 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. The game will be televised on the NFL Network, kicking off at 2 p.m.

Being selected is a huge honor for these ASU seniors. More importantly, the game will give Hubner and Johnson another set of game film to send out to NFL scouts.

"With all 32 NFL teams represented by GMs, coaches and scouts during game week, our players have the terrific opportunity to showcase their talents and get their first glimpse of life in the NFL,” East-West Shrine Game Executive Director Harold Richardson said.

Hubner finished the season with a 47.1 average and was only the second punter in ASU history to be a Ray Guy Award semifinalist.

Johnson was a senior for the team this season and finished second on the team with 88 tackles.

Graham adds help

Coach Todd Graham has hired Chris Thomsen again.

Thomsen was hired by Graham in December 2011. He then left to go coach at offensive line Texas Tech.

When Tommy Tuberville left Texas Tech to go to Cincinnati, Thomsen was interim head coach for Texas Tech during its win over Minnesota in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Now Thomsen is back in Tempe and will coach the talent-rich running back position for ASU next season.

Reach reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×