Police searching for suspect in Mill Avenue assault

A 15-year-old female Tempe High student was accosted while walking home from school around 3:30 p.m. near South Mill Avenue on Tuesday, according to a Tempe Police press release.

The student was walking through an apartment complex at 3730 S. Mill Ave. when the suspect – a heavy-set Hispanic male with short dark hair between 30 and 39 years old – attempted to grab the victim, according to the release.

The girl did not know the man, police reported.

According to the press release, the girl tried to walk away from the suspect and he grabbed her by the arm, but she was able to struggle free and ran home without being injured or followed.

The girl later called police when her mother came home, police reported.

Patrol officers went to the scene and searched the area extensively, but the suspect, who the girl described as being approximately 5 feet, 2 inches and wearing a dirty white T-shirt and jeans, is still unaccounted for, police reported.

Tempe detectives are involved in the investigation and are asking for help from the public to identify the suspect.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Tempe Police Department at (480) 350-8311.

Reach the reporter at rrocklif@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Rrockliffe

×