ASU track and field dominates last indoor meet

ASU track coach Greg Kraft emphasized how important the end of the season was going into championships and nationals, and the ASU track and field team is transferring its coaches philosophy into its meets.

The Sun Devils competed in their last meet of the indoor regular season up north in the third NAU Tune-Up of the year, winning eight events.

Junior Anna Jelmini set a personal best in the shot put, blowing by her previous record by nearly eight inches. Her throw of 17.35 meters (56-11.25) puts her among the top five in the NCAA, which should qualify her for the national tournament.

Jelmini's fellow teammate on the No. 12 women's team, redshirt junior thrower Chelsea Cassulo, continued her unbeaten streak in Flagstaff. Cassulo's throw of 20.72m (67-11.75) burned her fellow competition by over three feet.

Redshirt junior jumper Constance Ezugha for the women and senior jumper Chris Benard for the No. 13 men's team won their long jump competitions with seasonal bests.

In the distance run, sophomore Dalanne Bartlette won her first 800-meter of the year for the women with a season's best time of 2:16.53.

This coming weekend will be the first championship meet of the season. The Sun Devils will travel to Seattle for the MPSF Championship on Friday and Saturday.

Reach the reporter at msterrel@asu.edu

×