Man arrested after crashing into light pole, fence

ASU Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 20-year-old man was arrested Sunday on the 700 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of driving under the influence while being under 21 years of age, according to a police report.

Police responded to a one-vehicle accident at 1:20 a.m. and found the man sitting on the curb with cuts on his face and arms, bloodshot eyes and an odor of alcohol, police reported.

He said he was turning into the parking lot of his apartment complex after leaving a friend’s house, according to the report.

He accelerated, lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a light pole and fence on the south end of the parking lot, police reported.

Although at first he said he had not been drinking, he later retracted his statement and said he had two to three glasses of wine at the party, according to the report.

The officer asked him to perform a series of field sobriety tests, which he failed, police reported.

The officer asked the man to take a preliminary breath test, according to the report.

Because he was hesitant and didn’t voluntarily submit to the test, the officer arrested him and transported him to the Tempe ASU Police Station for processing, police reported.

At the station, the man took two breath tests and blew blood alcohol levels of .247 and .240, according to the report.

The man was cited with five charges of driving under the influence, which included a DUI with a blood alcohol of .08 or higher and a super extreme DUI with a blood alcohol level of .20 or higher, police reported.

A 20-year-old man was arrested Sunday on the 700 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of consuming alcohol as a minor, according to a police report.

The man was first approached by police after he was observed jaywalking on Apache Boulevard between McAllister Avenue and Paseo del Saber, police reported.

The man was asked if he had been drinking and he said he had approximately four drinks, according to the report.

He was cited with a minor in consumption of alcohol and ordered to appear in court in May, police reported.

Reports compiled by Paulina Pineda

Reach the reporter at ppineda@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @paulinapineda22

×