ASU operator receives bomb threat phone call

ASU Police reported the following incidents Friday:

A 39-year-old female ASU telephone operator reported a bomb threat to police April 22, according to a police report.

The woman, who works in the Computing Commons, received a phone call in the morning from person with a male voice who told her that there was a bomb on campus and that it wasn’t a joke, police reported.

The woman told police that the phone call lasted for 10 seconds and the person had a raspy voice, according to the report.

The woman’s phone normally displays phone numbers for incoming calls, but she said this call registered as an unknown caller, police reported.

Police locked the building, preventing anyone from entering, but people inside were not asked to evacuate, because it was not an active threat, according to the report.

Officers didn’t find anything unusual after conducting a building search, so the building manager unlocked the doors, police reported.

Police spoke with an operator from the University’s telephone service provider, CenturyLink, who said she didn’t have access to locate blocked telephone numbers but that CenturyLink’s central office might have it, according to the report.

There are no suspects or leads, and the case is being investigated, police reported.

Police are looking for two bicycles which were stolen from the 1300 block of South Sunset Drive on April 18 and the 600 block of South College Avenue on Wednesday, according to police reports.

A 56-year-old man had locked his red 2003 Raleigh bike to a bike rack outside of the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex, according to the report.

The stolen bike was estimated at $1,020, police reported.

A 19-year-old man’s black and red SE road bike was locked to a bike rack outside of the Adelphi Commons II building when it was stolen, according to the report.

The man’s bike was estimated at $400, police reported.

There are no suspects, leads or witnesses for either incident, according to the reports.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu or follow @ShawnFVRaymundo

×