Betty White, Jane Leeves discuss 'Hot in Cleveland,' careers

“Hot in Cleveland,” a thriving comedic show, has experienced enormous success. The show serves as the first original series to be presented on TV Land. It has received the honor of becoming one of the highest rated TV Land shows.

The State Press had the pleasure of speaking to two of the show’s leading ladies, Betty White and Jane Leeves. A new season of “Hot in Cleveland” is scheduled to premiere on June 19, 2013.

The State Press: What components do you feel contribute to the great success of “Hot in Cleveland?"

Jane Leeves: Incredible chemistry, and we just all adore each other, which has been true of other hit shows. Friendship is always relevant, and that keeps the show fresh.

Betty White: Absolutely. You hear these horror stories about people doing comedy when they don’t like each other.

SP: Are there components in particular that could be attractive to the averagecollege student?

JL: It’s so much fun. I’m constantly surprised at the young demographic that we have, and I think Betty brings that. There’s a message of hope and knowing that it’s not over when you reach a certain age.

SP:How does “Hot in Cleveland” differ from a typical network sitcom?

JL: It’s more like working on a network sitcom in the old days, where network heads had trust in the cast. There’s a certain amount of trust and freedom. It’s been a really lovely experience.

BW: That’s so true.

SP: What’s it like working together on set?

JL: It’s just heaven. It’s so much fun. One of the best parts of my day is getting Betty to laugh. We get paid to have fun.

SP: Both of you have quite an amount of experience as actresses. Do either of you ever feel nervous while filming or performing in front of a live audience?

JL: Yes. I still get nervous, and I’d be nervous if I wasn’t nervous. There’s something about adrenaline that helps performing.

BW: I’ve been in the business for 64 years, and I still get stage fright.

SP: Are there any not-so-glamorous behind-the-scenes parts of “Hot in Cleveland”?

BW: No. It’s like a party. Everyone comes prepared, so it gives a lot of license to relax and have fun.

JL: Yeah, it’s like a non-stop party. We’re always teasing each other.

SP: Is there anything that can be revealed about the upcoming season?

JL: Victoria’s movie has ended, and she may be getting engaged to Emmett. I believe Joy discovers some shady business that Elka is up to.

BW: As usual.

JL: We’re also very fortunate to have the wonderful ladies from "The “Mary Tyler Moore Show." We’re all in awe. I don’t think we’ll ever forget it.

SP: Most of the women in the show are in relationships. Are you looking for a male lover in the show as well, Betty?

BW: Me? When you have the best, who needs the rest?I’m not looking for one in real life, but one in the show. All the other girls get to kiss these wonderful guys, and Elka is just there in the corner.

SP: When you have free time, are there any shows in particular that you like to watch?

BW: I’m ashamed to say it, but the news channel. I don’t really get a chance to watch television all that often, though.

JL: I’m crazy about “Downton Abbey,” but maybe it’s because I’m British.

BW: I don’t think so.

SP: What can be expected in the future?

JL: Well, Betty never stops working. I have children, and my husband wants me to be the full-time mommy.

BW: I’m doing a special on big cats with National Geographic that I’m looking forward to.

SP: What have been some of the highlights of your careers?

BW: Honey, when you live this long, there are so many great moments that you can’t pick one.

JL: It’s really hard to pick one, but every time when you do a pilot, you remember the pilot of a hit show.

Reach the reporter at lrogoff@asu.edu

×